How did the Phillies become world champs this year? Maybe because their fans stay well-nourished with projectile hot dogs. Hatfield Meats and our favorite chubby green furball mascot, Phillie Phanatic engineered a hot dog launcher and documented (mockumented?) the planning phases, which were sometimes tense given the Phanatic's temper. Like all good ideas, it started with a dream: "I liked to shoot things as a kid," says co-creator Eric Haman. As far as flying objects go, these look tastier than a home run or foul ball. The video, after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Making Nachos for the Super Bowl? Here Are the Essentials
- Rethinking Vinaigrettes: The Case for Dropping the Acid
- Smoky and Spicy Chicken Tinga Is the Ultimate One-Pot Taco Filling
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants