How did the Phillies become world champs this year? Maybe because their fans stay well-nourished with projectile hot dogs. Hatfield Meats and our favorite chubby green furball mascot, Phillie Phanatic engineered a hot dog launcher and documented (mockumented?) the planning phases, which were sometimes tense given the Phanatic's temper. Like all good ideas, it started with a dream: "I liked to shoot things as a kid," says co-creator Eric Haman. As far as flying objects go, these look tastier than a home run or foul ball. The video, after the jump.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- The Delicious Secret Behind Your Favorite Whiskey: The Best Spirits from MGP
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- Why Jianbing is China's Most Popular Street Breakfast
- Easy Cocktails: 35 Simple, 3-Ingredient Drinks to Make at Home