Eater Chicago isn't happening. Which makes us all a little sad—in some ways. All the news of openings and closings and comings and goings would have been well-handled by the Eater formula. An Eater site would have been a sort of recognition that Chicago had truly made it as a food city. Alas, it wasn't meant to be.
So, aside from our own regular coverage of Chicago eats, we wanted to list some of our favorite Chicago food blogs.
- Hungry Magazine: Serious Eats contributor Mike Nagrant helms this bona fide food magazine. He and his contributors update daily with a new review, think piece, recipe, or food memoir, always accompanied by great photography
- MenuPages Chicago: Edited by Helen Rosner, this aggressively updated site has got some sharp and funny writing—the Review Revues, the news roundups, and the original content make it a daily stop. A nearly unhealthy obsession over Grant Achatz and Michael Nagrant
- Drive-Thru, by Gapers Block, is a good-looking all-around smart Chicago food blog
- 312 Dining Diva: Aggregates the press releases like nobody's business. The daily posts are a must-read for knowing who'll be at the clubs, which chefs are on the move, and where to find dining and drinking deals around town. It's pink
- Time Out Chicago: OK, so it's a print magazine, but not only is all the weekly content available online, but there's also the TOC blog that seems totally plugged in: They're the ones who broke both the appointment of Ari Bendersky to helm Eater Chicago—and the news of the site's indefinite postponement
- LTHForum: Not a blog, but a super-active forum that's the place to go for up-to-the-minute news on openings, closings, chefs, and special events
Did we miss any?