Last night's winner Aaron McCargo, Jr., who will premiere his new show "Big Daddy's House" this Sunday on the Food Network, pinpointed his I-Knew-I-Was-a-Serious-Eater-When moment this afternoon on the phone: "I was four, and my family started passing out rice, peas, and pearl onions... they give me one chicken leg, and I said to myself, they got to be joking. When I get older, I'm going to cook a whole chicken and eat it myself."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- A Social History of Jell-O Salad: The Rise and Fall of an American Icon
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- Beyond the Taco: 30 Mexican, Mexican-Inspired, and Tex-Mex Recipes
- Turn Scallion Greens and Tomato Skins From Trash to Delicious Powdered Treasure