Of all the tips he has for Beijing-bound travelers, number one on blogger David Feng's list is learning the phrase "Chi fan le ma?" The translation: "Have you eaten?" Since Beijingers are such serious eaters, the question makes a great first impression.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- It's Always Morning Somewhere: My Favorite Breakfasts Around the World
- My Cookie Obsession: Tender, Melting, Gooey Alfajores
- The Foolproof Steps to Making a Perfect French Omelette at Home
- The Easy Way to Make Fresh Corn Tortillas at Home
- The Food Lab's American Omelettes (and Why You Should Salt Your Eggs in Advance)