Of all the tips he has for Beijing-bound travelers, number one on blogger David Feng's list is learning the phrase "Chi fan le ma?" The translation: "Have you eaten?" Since Beijingers are such serious eaters, the question makes a great first impression.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops
- Flipping Out for the Perfect Spanish Tortilla (Tortilla Española)
- Frozen Mezcal Paloma: The Bright, Not-Too-Sweet Answer to a Margarita