Of all the tips he has for Beijing-bound travelers, number one on blogger David Feng's list is learning the phrase "Chi fan le ma?" The translation: "Have you eaten?" Since Beijingers are such serious eaters, the question makes a great first impression.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- The Best Serrated Bread Knife for Your Kitchen