Of all the tips he has for Beijing-bound travelers, number one on blogger David Feng's list is learning the phrase "Chi fan le ma?" The translation: "Have you eaten?" Since Beijingers are such serious eaters, the question makes a great first impression.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: How to Make Great Home Fries
- How to Make the Best Arnold Palmer Ever
- The Food Lab: The Secret to Perfectly Imperfect Yakitori (Japanese-Style Grilled Chicken Skewers)
- For Better Tuna Salad Sandwiches, With Mayo or Without, Add More Fish
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment