Of all the tips he has for Beijing-bound travelers, number one on blogger David Feng's list is learning the phrase "Chi fan le ma?" The translation: "Have you eaten?" Since Beijingers are such serious eaters, the question makes a great first impression.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- Special Sauce: How Roy Choi Plans to Change the World
- Mortar and Pestle + Food Processor = Great Curry Paste, Fast