KitchenMaus over at Al Dente combined your regular joe cake with the birthday staple of cupcakes by baking this giant cupcake for her son's first birthday. In her test run, she originally frosted just the top, like any regular ol' cupcake, but as she says, "Who wants half the cake to have no frosting?! Is there even a point?" (Right on.) Which is how she arrived at this frosting-laden cake, complete with Necco wafers and a jumbo birthday candle. Toss out your bite-sized cupcakes and make your own gigantic cupcake with cupcake pans like the Wilton large cupcake pan.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- Beyond Memorial Day Burgers: 13 Recipes for Grilled Steak and More
- Serious Eats Recommends: 6 Food-Focused Books, Podcasts, and TV Shows We Love Right Now
- The Food Lab: How to Make New York's Finest Sicilian Pizza at Home