If you see pale blue ribbons around today, they could be honoring INDD or International No Diet Day, celebrated every May 6. Recovering anorexic Mary Evans Young founded the holiday in 1992 as a response to a thin-obsessed, thigh-hating culture. About $40 billion is spent each year on weight loss tactics, but today we are supposed to love our bodies, no matter what size or shape.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Shakshuka: A Template for Breakfast, Dinner, and Every Meal in Between
- The Better, Faster Way to Freeze and Defrost Your Foods
- We Aged Eggnog for 1 Year to See if It's Worth the Wait
- How the Science of Salt Can Improve Your Tomatoes
- Don't Blame the Humidity: How "Room Temperature" Can Ruin a Pie Dough