Similar to private school uniforms, chef whites are fashionably bland by definition. There's little room for individuality, but that could change with a budding knife bag couture. Two years ago, the New York Times Magazine revealed that chef Barbara Lynch of No. 9 Park in Boston would manufacture a messenger bag-like tote with Velcro side pouches, able to store funky-shaped peelers, graters and other gadgets. Finally, it's now available for $160.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- The Food Lab: Follow the Rules for the Best All-American Beef Stew
- Special Sauce: Pete Wells on Writing, Ketchup, and 2-Star Restaurants
- Cookbook Love Letter: Anne Willan's La Varenne Pratique