Katy Murtaugh, a Peace Corps volunteer stationed in Guinea, describes the process of mixing, kneading, and baking 90 baguettes in just seven hours—all without tools or measuring cups. The baker she follows works on an enormous scale, given that he's doing everything manually: He starts with about 55 pounds of flour before adding a "deluge of water" and continuing. [via Tim Murtaugh]
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Why Jianbing is China's Most Popular Street Breakfast