At Ballast Point Brewing Company in San Diego, the brewing part might get toned down. With hops up from $6 to $30, according to the San Diego Reader, brewer Yuseff Cherney is struggling to make his Dorado Double India Pale Ale. Over at Pizza Port in nearby Carlsbad, Hop Suey Double IPA is also in harm's way. With worldwide hop acreage about one-fourth of what it was 15 years ago, microbrewers might be diluting signature flavors in the upcoming year, or even considering vintner's licenses.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- The Burrito Goes Global With Chicken Vindaloo
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Ideas in Food's Best Japanese-Style Fried Chicken Just Happens to Be Gluten-Free