Yeah, by now I think the blog Stuff White People Like has made the rounds. Here's a list of all the food-related material on the site so far. The site is probably better described as "Stuff Yuppies Like," and some of these write-ups are pretty spot on:
- Bottles of water ("Water seems like a fairly simple concept. You turn on the tap, put glass underneath, and drink. Sadly, it is not this simple for white people.")
- Being the only white person around ("When they are eating at a new ethnic restaurant ... nothing spoils their fun more than seeing another white person.")
- Recycling ("The best advice is that if you plan to deal with white people on regular basis either start recycling or purchase a large blue bin so that they can believe they are recycling.")
- Expensive sandwiches ("Generally these places aren’t open for dinner, have a panini press and are famous for their bread.")
- Bicycles (There's a food-related passage in there that's pretty rich.)
- Japan ("Enjoying the food, learning about how to eat it, and how to be snobby about it.")
The rest are pretty self-explanatory, but do click through for the hilarious send-ups.
- Kitchen gadgets
- Whole Foods and grocery co-ops
- Asian fusion food
- Breakfast places
- Organic food
- Farmers' markets
On a side note: In one of the entries on Stuff White People Like, a Serious Eats writer is pictured. It's not a food one, and I'm not going to tell you who! ;) If you can figure it out, we'll give you a copy of Michel Richard's Happy in the Kitchen. Just email me (email@example.com) with the name of the Serious Eater and the URL where you think s/he's pictured. Friends and family of said Serious Eater need not apply. First correct answer wins.