The voice calls in the distance—"try our Bourbon chicken." Or sometimes, no voice at all, just an aggressive body hawking a toothpick-pierced sample in your face. Like a Hare Krishna proselytizing with devotional books at an airport, the chicken sample reps in mall food courts have an iconic, unavoidable presence. Everyone "samples," as if curious, but fess up. We all know what it tastes like, and we all secretly love it.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Seekh Kebabs: The Grilled, Spiced Pakistani Meat-on-a-Stick of Your Dreams
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- How to Make the Most of Late-Summer Fruit With Pie
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops