Newly-minted Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej may be notorious for his irreverent, whatcha-gonna-do-about-it personality—he’s been accused of malfeasance for signing two questionable contracts while Bangkok’s mayor, and is in the midst of a defamation conviction entailing a two-year prison sentence—but Samak still owns the hearts of many. Maybe because he’s basically a Thai Emeril or Mario. Well, sorta. The former host of the Thai cooking show "Tasting and Complaining” (Chimpai Bonpai) explored traditional Thai cuisine on air, always with a side of his fiery rants. When colleagues believed he was too busy in the kitchen instead of doing his real job—leading the people—he was forced to nix the show.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- How to Make Rich, Flavorful Caramel Without Melting Sugar
- 3 Simple Yucatán-Style Condiments to Spice Up Taco Night
- The Best Sautéed Broccoli Rabe Is Overcooked Broccoli Rabe
- The Yucatecan Secret for Adding Crispy, Cheesy Flavor to Any Taco