Newly-minted Thai Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej may be notorious for his irreverent, whatcha-gonna-do-about-it personality—he’s been accused of malfeasance for signing two questionable contracts while Bangkok’s mayor, and is in the midst of a defamation conviction entailing a two-year prison sentence—but Samak still owns the hearts of many. Maybe because he’s basically a Thai Emeril or Mario. Well, sorta. The former host of the Thai cooking show "Tasting and Complaining” (Chimpai Bonpai) explored traditional Thai cuisine on air, always with a side of his fiery rants. When colleagues believed he was too busy in the kitchen instead of doing his real job—leading the people—he was forced to nix the show.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- 35 Great Grilled Main Dishes for a Killer Labor Day Cookout
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits
- Video: Use Cherry Tomatoes for the Fastest Fresh Pasta Sauce Ever
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Dinner in 20: Herb-Packed Lemon-Garlic Grilled Chicken Skewers