The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has posted an easy-to-understand visual on its site that shows which foods U.S. tax dollars go to support under the nation's farm bill. It's titled "Why Does a Salad Cost More Than a Big Mac?" and depicts two pyramids—subsidized foods and the old recommended food pyramid. It's interesting to note that the two are almost inversely proportional to each other.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- Beyond Memorial Day Burgers: 13 Recipes for Grilled Steak and More
- Serious Eats Recommends: 6 Food-Focused Books, Podcasts, and TV Shows We Love Right Now
- The Food Lab: How to Make New York's Finest Sicilian Pizza at Home