The Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine has posted an easy-to-understand visual on its site that shows which foods U.S. tax dollars go to support under the nation's farm bill. It's titled "Why Does a Salad Cost More Than a Big Mac?" and depicts two pyramids—subsidized foods and the old recommended food pyramid. It's interesting to note that the two are almost inversely proportional to each other.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- We Aged Eggnog for 1 Year to See if It's Worth the Wait
- The Better, Faster Way to Freeze and Defrost Your Foods
- Step Aside, McRib Sandwich: The Food Lab's Ribby McRibface Just Stole Your Glory
- How to Make Boston Baked Beans, the Low, Slow, Old-Fashioned Way
- Better Than Classic: Our Nordstrom-Inspired Tomato Soup