- You say buffalo, I say bison: The icon of the American West is enjoying a resurgence among diners. Treehuggers and nutritionists rejoice.
- Keep on Puckin': Despite frozen food lines, Home Shopping Network huckstering, and other numerous ventures, Wolfgang Puck and his steakhouse, Cut, manage to impress Frank Bruni.
- Eaux de vie, loud and clear: An Oregon producerClear Creek Distilleryis turning out colorless fruit brandies that Eric Asimov describes as "an entire orchard of fruit ... packed into a single glass."
- Kosher coin-ops: Vending machines that dispense glatt kosher products. 0y v3y!
- Cold eggplant salad? Melissa Clark prepares this vegetable in an unexpected way. And here's the recipe.
- Bruni 3-Stars Café Boulud: It's as good under current chef Bertrand Chemel as it was under the previous one, Andrew Carmellini. Bruni: "The dishes at Café Boulud are united less by ethnic orientation than by the kitchen’s skill and by embellishments that reliably turn what’s already enjoyable into something remarkable."
Buying tips, techniques, and recipes, no matter how you like them.