I knew Japan was the birthplace of square watermelons, but the concept of watermelons vaguely shaped like human heads with bulging eyeballs is new to me. PingMag takes us into the world of strangely shaped watermelon breeding, where pyramidal watermelons will set you back $650 and the human head-shaped ones may cost you your soul. The heart-shaped cucumbers are much more accessible at around $2 for one cuke and probably taste more like their normal-shaped counterpart than the molded watermelons.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Shakshuka: A Template for Breakfast, Dinner, and Every Meal in Between
- The Better, Faster Way to Freeze and Defrost Your Foods
- Step Aside, McRib Sandwich: The Food Lab's Ribby McRibface Just Stole Your Glory
- BraveTart: Homemade Cheez-Its FTW
- The Best Honing Steel (Not Sharpening Steel!) for Your Knife