I knew Japan was the birthplace of square watermelons, but the concept of watermelons vaguely shaped like human heads with bulging eyeballs is new to me. PingMag takes us into the world of strangely shaped watermelon breeding, where pyramidal watermelons will set you back $650 and the human head-shaped ones may cost you your soul. The heart-shaped cucumbers are much more accessible at around $2 for one cuke and probably taste more like their normal-shaped counterpart than the molded watermelons.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Serve Your Valentine Breakfast in Bed With These 20 Brunch Recipes
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Cookbook Love Letter: Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Trial by Fire: My Life With the Culinary Director of Serious Eats