I knew Japan was the birthplace of square watermelons, but the concept of watermelons vaguely shaped like human heads with bulging eyeballs is new to me. PingMag takes us into the world of strangely shaped watermelon breeding, where pyramidal watermelons will set you back $650 and the human head-shaped ones may cost you your soul. The heart-shaped cucumbers are much more accessible at around $2 for one cuke and probably taste more like their normal-shaped counterpart than the molded watermelons.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- What Is American Cheese, Anyway?
- Grilled Oysters Are Better With Butter: How to Make the Best Barbecued Oysters
- Why I Prefer Teaspoons to Grams: 6 Measuring Mistakes That Derail Dessert
- No Brine, No Heat: Easy Pickled Onions in Just 15 Minutes
- Why a Control State Liquor Store Might Be Your Best Bet for Finding Rare and Interesting Spirits