I knew Japan was the birthplace of square watermelons, but the concept of watermelons vaguely shaped like human heads with bulging eyeballs is new to me. PingMag takes us into the world of strangely shaped watermelon breeding, where pyramidal watermelons will set you back $650 and the human head-shaped ones may cost you your soul. The heart-shaped cucumbers are much more accessible at around $2 for one cuke and probably taste more like their normal-shaped counterpart than the molded watermelons.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Sorry, Pulled Pork, It's Cochinita Pibil's Moment
- The Story of Carolina Gold, the Best Rice You've Never Tasted
- How to Make Rich, Flavorful Caramel Without Melting Sugar
- 3 Simple Yucatán-Style Condiments to Spice Up Taco Night
- The Food Lab: How to Make New York's Finest Sicilian Pizza at Home