The world's top ranked competitive eater, Takeru Kobayashi, has run into a little occupational hazard. Surprisingly, his stomach didn't explode from being over-stuffed; unsurprisingly, he developed jaw arthritis a week after he started training rigorously for the July 4th Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest, which he has won six years in a row. Despite the injury, he would still like to participate in the contest and "be the pride of my mother," who sadly died earlier this year. If you know Japanese you can read more of this thoughts on his blog. We hope he gets better soon!
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Dinner in 20: For the Best Fried Chicken Cutlets, Use Clarified Butter
- What "Selling Out" Allows a Craft Brewery to Do
- Fire Up the Grill for Vietnamese Caramelized Lemongrass Pork Chops
- Video: Use Your Cast Iron Pan and a Tortilla for Extra-Crispy Pizza in Just 12 Minutes
- Special Sauce: Dinosaur BBQ's John Stage on His Unlikely Path to Pitmaster