The world's top ranked competitive eater, Takeru Kobayashi, has run into a little occupational hazard. Surprisingly, his stomach didn't explode from being over-stuffed; unsurprisingly, he developed jaw arthritis a week after he started training rigorously for the July 4th Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating contest, which he has won six years in a row. Despite the injury, he would still like to participate in the contest and "be the pride of my mother," who sadly died earlier this year. If you know Japanese you can read more of this thoughts on his blog. We hope he gets better soon!
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- The Food Lab: Finding My Mojo With Cuban-Style Roast Pork
- The Food Lab: A Mind-Blowing Technique for Cleaning Deep-Fry Oil Using Gelatin
- The Best Budget-Friendly Summer Wines
- How to Make Oven-Baked Pork Ribs That Taste Like Smoky Barbecue
- Scrapcook: Transform Leftover Steak With a Ponzu-Mustard Vinaigrette