Wal-Mart sells more than 50 million pounds of shrimp a year, most of it from Thailand, where the company has put into place new rules requiring the shrimp to be farmed in environmentally sound ways as certified by Global Aquaculture Alliance or Aquaculture Certification Council.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Trial by Fire: My Life With the Culinary Director of Serious Eats
- Stew Science: Why You Shouldn't Cook Your Beef All Day
- Cookbook Love Letter: Jacques Pépin's Complete Techniques
- The Food Lab: The Best Goulash (Hungarian Beef and Paprika Stew)
- Special-Occasion Breakfast: Challah French Toast With Orange and Rum