how cooking with beer can enhance the flavor of food. But if beer is so great to cook with or in food pairings, why does everyone always choose wine? "Marketing, Wagner replies. "Beer historically has done a lousy job" of selling itself as a serious beverage. People associate it with hot dogs, pizza, buffalo wings, bikini-clad women, juvenile humor, sporting events — nothing that suggests you stop and appreciate the drink."
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- McDonald's Killed Burger King's McWhopper, so We Made it Ourselves
- A Summer Vegetable Lasagna That's Light (but Not Too Light)
- The Delicious Secret Behind Your Favorite Whiskey: The Best Spirits from MGP
- The Best Peach Cobbler Is Also a Simple Peach Cobbler
- Charcoal Versus Gas Grills: The Definitive Guide