talked to the people that run them: "The fries "build relationships,'' she says. "Many of the (volunteers) are retired. They may not have an organized plan for every day. But they know that every Friday for six weeks, they will be coming together and sharing an experience.'' The recipes for fried fish, coleslaw and potato salad come in two scales each: one for big groups ("Makes 200 pounds fish") and one for six people.
Serious Eats Newsletters
Popular on Serious Eats
- Crimes Against Pizza: An Opinionated Guide to Not Messing Up Your Pie
- Chengdu Taste is the Best Sichuan Restaurant in America. Here's What to Order.
- Lomo al Trapo: The Colombian Technique That Will Change the Way You Grill Beef
- How to Not F#&k Up a Caprese Salad
- How I Built a Barbecue Restaurant in Brooklyn: One Year Later